Based in Darmstadt, Germany
18 April, 2016 (Steam Edition) /
11 January, 2015 (Free Version)
|$||1.99 (Steam Edition)|
|Free (Free Version)|
Typefighters is a competitive multiplayer game where two players battle each other using their typing skills. Its variety of modes does not only emphasise typing speed and correctness, but also other skills like reaction time, sustained attention, creativity, tactics and anticipating the opponents moves. Aside from being a tool to settle arguments on who is the best on a keyboard, the game can also be used for training purposes.
Being fascinated from the idea and potential of typing-based-games, I found it to be an interesting challenge to translate the concept into a competetive multiplayer setting. After developing a small prototype which was very well received by testers, I decided to extend the concept into a full game. When revealing the game I received lots of positive feedback, among which have been quite a few teachers interested in using the game for teaching purposes. Although I had thought of that idea before, I decided to focus on the skill comparison aspect of the game. After all, there are already lots of games out there that teach typing - but not that many for typing competitions. Because of that the prospect of people using the game for teaching regardless was quite a nice surprise for me. And since the game's idea has long been a passion project for me, in 2015 I decided to encourage this aspect and release it for free in order to get it into as much hands as possible. However, the game's page on Steam Greenlight remained online. In early 2016 the game was then greenlit and I decided to build an enhanced Steam Edition, including matchmaking support, achievements, leaderboards and more. Aside from that I implemented a few general improvements like a fully customizable color scheme, which are to be added to the free version as well. This update will also make sure that both version are fully compatible in multiplayer.
- Show your friends who is the fastest typist!
- 8 modes requiring a variety of skills aside from typing speed and correctness
- Online and LAN multiplayer for two players
- Add your own word lists for additional languages and special challenges
- Adjustable singleplayer opponent
- Cross-platform multiplayer for Windows, Linux and Mac
- Customizable color scheme
- Additional benefit of providing typing practice
- Paid and free version fully compatible
- Matchmaking (Steam Edition)
- Achievements (Steam Edition)
- Leaderboards and statistics (Steam Edition)
- Trading Cards (Steam Edition)
Steam trailer YouTube
Modes trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "2015 Staff Picks: Genre Breaker Recommendation" IndieGames.com
- "Typefighters does something I haven't seen before: it takes typing and makes it a weapon in head-to-head combat."
- Lena LeRay, IndieGames.com
- "While there are a number of games that test your typing skills, I haven’t found one as exciting as this."
- Joe Scott, DigiSpun
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Typefighters @ Twitter
Twitter page twitter.com.
Typefighters @ IndieDB
IndieDB page indiedb.com.
About Christian Reuter
Serious games researcher, developing indie games in my spare time.
More information on Christian Reuter, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Design and programming